This is a Victorian sign that would have been displayed outside the wine merchants premises in Bristol. Matthew Dunlop and Ivie Mackie went into partnership in Bristol in 1846 selling wines, spirits, porter and ales.
Their main premises was at 33-35 Broad Quay with stores at Marsh Street and a bonded warehouse at St. Augustine’s Bank. This sign would most likely have been displayed at their main Broad Quay premises.
The partnership was dissolved in 1862 so this sign can be dated fairly accurately to the 16 years they were in business in Bristol in the middle of the 19th century.
It is in good condition for its age and is a solid brass piece. The lettering is recessed and originally would have been solid black and but now has an attractive faded aged look An interesting decoration for the home or for a wine bar premises. It's heavy weighing about 2 1/2 kilos and measures 53.5 cm x 30.5 cm.